Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lightning McQueen Cardboard Car Tutorial

Have you seen the new Pixar Cars movie yet?? It is amazing! The only way I can describe it is James Bond meets Pixar. I love how it incorporated adult humor and disguised it as a kids movie so I could enjoy it with my son. Filmmakers are so clever these days! When we got home from the movies my son decided we needed to make our own Lightning McQueen...out of cardboard boxes. The construction process and DIY design began.




Supplies:
One Rectangle Box
Tape
Box cutter
Elmer's glue and/or hot glue
Red spray paint
Construction or Scrapbook paper-
Rust-eze Logo (see below)

1.  I started out with a rectangle box and cut off the two short flaps on the top. Save these for later.
2.  I drew on the box as pictured below and made cuts on my lines.


The top half of the picture shows the cuts already made.
The bottom half of the picture shows you the lines I drew prior to cutting.
 3.  Tape as shown, adding one of the small flaps cut off in step one back in. I prefer to use light color tape because it is easier to paint over.


4.  Use the second flap cut off in step one and make a small spoiler for the back of the car. I reattached it with tape and found it held its shape better that way opposed to just cutting directly on the small flap while still attached.


5. Paint Lightning McQueen with red spray paint. I used less then one can of paint and coated several areas twice.


6. Print Rust-eze logo from above to attach to the hood with glue. Cut out eyes for Lightning out of white paper (or foam board). I traced two circles and filled them in with a black sharpie marker.  I added two headlights and a smile on the front.



7.  Cut out the number 95 and lightning symbol out of scrapbook paper and attach with Elmer's glue. I composed wheels from foam board painted black and upside down small red plates. I attached the wheels with hot glue.


8. Let your little ones enjoy their new friend. This would be a great addition to a Cars themed party. Seriously, this is soooo easy to make. It only cost me $3 for the can of spray paint and $1 for the white foam board. My boys have been riding in Lightning McQueen all afternoon!




Per Lightning McQueen: " I am a precision instrument of speed and aerodynamics."

41 comments:

  1. That is sooo ADORABLE!!! Now i just need to find a box.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally cool. Your son is a lucky one. We made a storefront from cardboard once and it has been my daughter's favorite toy for the longest time. I also like that it is from recycled materials. Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. How totally awesome. I know so many kids - including my own - who would absolutely die for this. Maybe I'll give it a go! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! May be making it soon for my nephew...

    I'd love for you to link up to our "Crafts for Under Twenty-Somethings" Thursdays this week! It's a blog hop specifically for kids and teens ideas, so your ideas would be perfect! I'll hope you'll come link up this Thursday.

    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com


    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! My little boy would go crazy over this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This car is adorable! I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable. I know my son would love this. Thanks for the helpful tutorial. I would love it if you would stop by and link this up at the crafty link party going on right now at Lines Across My Face.
    I hope to see you soon,
    Rachel.
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-4-craft-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! We will definately be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I was hoping to do something like this for my sons Cars party last week but just ran out of time. Come check out our Cars party here http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/08/disney-cars-2-birthday-cake-games-gifts.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday! I can truly tell from the smiles on your little ones' faces that the car was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. You are being featured this week at Lines Across My Face. Stop by and pick up a featured button. I hope to see you again this week!
    Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/cure-for-common-monday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your car turned out fantastic. My little boy would LOVE it. Thanks for sharing i'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, man, my son would FREAK. OUT. You did a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, my sister and I are planning my nephew's 5th birthday party and it's a Cars theme. Thanks for showing us how to make Lightning, I know we will be making this for his birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for sharing. My son's 3rd birthday is next month and we're doing a Cars Theme and I will def be making 2 of these cars for the kids to race outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did you get the spray paint to stick to the packing tape? Yours looks soo smooth- I made the frames and now need to paint them and wanted to make sure if I need to prep them somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sprayed paint directly on the packing tape. It stayed really well. Good luck with your project!

      Delete
  17. Hello Michelle, that is too cute.. My daughter kindergarten class is having a car show may 4th she wants a Barbie car we have to make it out of cardboard but I'm having trouble on how to do it. Will u help me with some ideas I dnt knw where to start this is my 1st time doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I would love to help. Can you give me your email. I attempted to find one through your profile and could not.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for sharing! This is awesome and so easy!! I'm making some for our VBS kids!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This rocks!!!! My son is having a drive in movie at his pre school and he is going to LOVE making this and taking it to school. Thank you for sharing it. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so nice, and also so easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

    Car Trailers For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this! I am making this for my son this Halloween. I'm actually working on it right now while he is napping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad. I would love to see how it turns out as a costume. I bet he loves it!

      Delete
    2. I will post a picture when it's finished. It's getting there slowly but surely.

      Delete
    3. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to post a few pictures of the finished product.

      Delete
    4. Maybe just email me at greeneacreshobbyfarm@yahoo.com. =)

      Delete
  22. I've found Lots of necessary information from your blog. Just bookmark your blog for more explore! I will definitely share this post with others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for share this post I also share with you something hope you like my post. To make sure your household goods arrive at your new home without a scratch, start with purchasing the right packing supplies. This is an area where you can cut down on cost, if necessary, just remember that buying the right supplies from the beginning will save you time and energy. Thanks
    Buy Packaging Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  25. i totally cute my 3 year old son is crazy about macqueen i made thart car today and he is absolutely fascinated !!thanks for sharing the tutorial!!God bless you(;

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for sharing this. I made one for my nephews first birthday as it was "cars' themed. It turned out brilliantly and the whole family got involved! ;) Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  27. How much would you charge to make this and ship it to Tennessee?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing such a creative crafts using double wall cardboard boxes. keep sharing such creatives using cardboard boxes. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very interesting article you posted here. I really this. Test your Typing Speed Before anything else, Typing test tool will ask you to test your typing speed for you to know how fluent you are in typing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have made an amazing car using double wall cardboard boxes. Thank you for sharing this creative post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on packing boxes near me

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...