Monday, March 5, 2012

DIY Cardboard Pirate Ship

I finally tackled the monumental task of a huge pirate ship the day before my boy's birthday party. We bought this amazing playground off of craigslist about six months ago. My amazing husband disassembled and reassembled it at our house with of course...a few grunts and moans. However, it was worth everything because my kids, and every single one of their friends, adore it! It was the perfect base for a huge cardboard pirate ship.


As luck would have it, I inherited some huge pieces of thick cardboard from work. We received a large piece of medical equipment (C-arm) the week of the birthday party. It was sooo thick it was hard to cut with an exacto knife. My husband arrived home and said I should have used an actual saw. Too bad his advice was a little late!



I started out with the design cut above.


I painted the top yellow with two coats of paint.


The waves were easiest to outline first, and then paint in blue. I then topped each wave in white. Next, I cut a few portholes out, and painted around them in yellow and green.


A few waves served as the water off of the pirate ship. We filled it full of blue balloons for the kids to slide into.

But watch out for the shark!!


The kids truly had an adventure on the pirate ship.


What a crazy bunch of pirates!


My two year old birthday boy peeking through a porthole. The rest of the party is still to come. I have so many fun pictures to share. See you soon.





13 comments:

  1. I love it! I cannot wait for us to get into a house so I can tackle these sort of projects for our parties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is absolutely amazing! The balloons at the bottom of the slide look fun too! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this on my Facebook page. Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! We bought our playset from Craiglists too, so I completely understand the grunts and moans that you're referring too! It was such a project, but so well worth it! You did a great job on your pirate ship. Thanks for linking up with Fun for Kids Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! You really out-did yourself. I can't get over this entire pirate ship... and it was made from cardboard?! SO incredible!! Thanks so much for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun idea, I showed it off today!

    Carlee
    http://www.ladybirdln.com/2012/03/weekend-show-offs_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this and the cupcakes. Thanks for linking it up to mommy solutions! I am featuring you on my Facebook page. I wasn't sure if you were on there~ Have a great day, Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this- it looks like so much fun! I featured you on my Friday Finds post! http://sweetcsdesigns.com/archives/3447

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think.I read every single comment and they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...